Rhabdomyolysis... what is this you ask....
It is the rapid breakdown of skeletal muscle due to injury to muscle tissue. The destruction of the muscle leads to the release of the breakdown of products of damaged muscle cells into the bloodstream; some of these, such as myoglobin (a protein), are harmful to the kidney and may lead to acute kidney failure. Treatment is with intravenous fluids. (Copied from Wikipedia)
The gift I was SO proud of that I got Colt for Christmas - the workout membership to Iron Tribe Fitness in Homewood - put him in the hospital Friday night thru Sunday afternoon (1/7-1/9). Colt worked out so hard so quickly that his body could not keep up. His symptoms were extreme soreness - he could not really bend his arms and his urine was a red/brown color. They pumped him with fluids and potassium and gave him morphine for pain and they kept a close eye on his kidneys. He has to go to the doctor Monday to check his levels and if everything looks good, he can start working out again...
In my defense, I did tell Colt to start off slow and to drink plenty of water..... I know, not a great defense. Colt and I have never heard of this so I wish that the trainers would have informed Colt and the class that this can happen if you go too hard. The doctor said if he had not come in, that rhabdo can cause kidney failure!
If you are wondering if Colt wants to continue working out at this gym - the answer is YES! He LOVES it and cannot wait to go back this week. He was on morphine in the hospital talking about "WODs" (Workout of the day) and when he got home on Sunday he was filling out his crossfit journal. I am worried about him going back so I called the trainer;) Yes I am that wife - but this CANNOT happen again... Colt has a wife, son and baby on the way. The trainer was nice and promised to help him slow down... but there was a lack of concern in his words and tone that REALLY bothered me. Colt is so excited to get back to the gym - but this is the warning from his loving wife - IF this happens AGAIN you are DONE! I know I am mean/crazy/whatever else but I love him more than anything else in this world and Parker, BooTwo and I would be completely lost if something happened.
This is my informative blog to let you all know about Rhabdomyolysis. Not sure if this will help anyone but I wish we had been aware of this.
(More to come on the rest of the weekend)
2021 Gift Guide For Him
4 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment